How to Install Avast 2017 with Minimalist Settings
(Click any image for full-size screenshot.)
Download and launch the installer for Avast Free Antivirus
Do not click the [Install] button on this screen!!
First make sure you deselect the checkboxes at the bottom so you don't get unintended junkware!
Then click the [Customize] button to continue.
Change the installation type to "Minimal protection". Then add back in any additional components you think you want.
"Behavior Shield" and "Rescue Disk" may be useful to some people, but the rest of the components
are bells and whistles of little value or are features better handled by other products.
Then click the [Install] button, and sit back and wait while Avast installs itself.
Note that version 2017 allows you to change your mind about components after the installation is finished.
By going to "Settings" and then "Components", you can install or uninstall any components at a later time.
I recommend starting with minimal protection and experimenting with additional components later.
Even though the product is free, its license must still be activated every 12 months.
To activate your copy of the program:
- Click the green [Activate] button in the lower left of the program's console window.
- Click the button to select "Avast Free Antivirus".
- Click "No, thanks" to skip the time-limited trial version of the for-pay premium version.
You may also wish to change the following settings:
- Update > "Virus Definitions" settings (make sure this is set to "Automatic update")
- Update > "Program" settings (set this to "Manual update")
- General > Popups (shorten the duration of non-essential popups)
- General > Privacy (unselect to opt out of sharing and social media features)
Be sure to click the green [OK] button to save any changes.
Back to Top
last revised: 07/18/2017